Saturday, February 13, 2016

More love poems for Valentine's Day



Vow

We will love like dogwood.
Kiss like cranes.
Die like moths.
I promise.


For Six Months with You

For six months with you, I would
Quit my lover
Leave the city
Sell my books.

For six months with you, I would
Live in Kansas
Join a carpool
Shave my legs.

For six months with you, I would
Be an actress
Wait on tables
Burn this poem.

But what if it doesn’t work out?

If it doesn’t work out I’ll join a convent

If it doesn’t work out I’ll cut my hair

If it doesn’t work out I’ll leave the country

If it doesn’t work out I still don’t care.


For six months with you, I would
Break the true law
Break my poor heart
Break my vow.

Now ask me what I’d do
For a year or two.
 

Williamsburg Poem
 
shaking like the El beneath the Williamsburg train
I wait for him to come
bridge and tunnel meeting like the girders of the El
his hard arms open my thighs

in the hood they have names for him
the girls say his names:
they call him dos cafes con leche
they say ruega para nosotros
they say he’s yucca, white and shining
like the crucifix on your breast
they say he’s lucky like a spider
they say he’s yucca, white and hard

they watch him
run like a wolf on the rooftops
run like a wolf on the rooftops
every night

rumbling like the train beneath the sidewalk
and the El above my head
encircled by these girders and his arms he
whispers spray paint and graffiti
pulls me down into the subway
pulls me down and up again
lifts me to the bridge the girders tattooed light the open El

his mouth burns the asphalt
graffiti burns my thighs
and I run through the clotheslines that flap on the roofs
I run through the night after him.

the girls give me garlic
the girls all pray for me
and I pray with the words from the spray-painted walls
and the girders that shake on the El
and I pray:

he is my catholic con leche
he is my old native religion
I pray: ruega para nosotros
I pray: ruega para mi.

he is my brujo lobo blanco
he is my amor y arana
and my prayers are as dark and as deep as his night
as the hole he will fill with his eyes
here in me

laughing
he opens
my Williamsburg thighs.


No comments:

Blog Archive