I grew up wild and reckless in the land of desert nomads,
In the arid lands that lie near the promised land and Egypt,
That land of milk and honey they were saving for my brother
And the land of Pharaoh’s bondage where my mother’s kin were born.
I lived my youth near Canaan and the slaving lands of Egypt,
I lived my life an outcast in the desert of Paran.
I grew up wild and stubborn: my hand against my father
At war with all my kinfolk; my kin at war with me.
I grew up wild and skittish, like a scared colt in a sandstorm
I laughed at mules and camels that never could break free.
But I learned to run in sandstorms, and how to eat my water,
And how to find oases, and how to take the heat.
I learned to talk to demons, to tempters and to genies.
I learned to talk to devils, to outcasts just like me.
I learned to love and pity my younger brother Isaac
When they took him to the slaughter, not even asking why.
God bade me make the manna for Isaac and his children.
My demons said they’d be here, twelve tribes of them someday.
In this land of desert nomads near the promised land and Egypt
Near the land of milk and honey in the desert of Paran.
"In Paran" has appeared in The New Press Literary Quarterly, FULCRUM, The Enchanting Verses Literary Review, and in Measure for Measure: An Anthology of Poetic Meters (Penguin Random House).
- ► 2017 (69)
- E-text of Victory over the Sun in my translation (...
- MEMENTO MAMA
- The Girl @theParisReview Says Uncool
- I am not your insect
- Vive L’Égypte
- In Paran
- Rant Alert: James Patterson and Sentence versus St...
- Dancing with the Devil in English and Persian
- Reprise: Skin
- Happy birthday, Andre Breton (b. 2/19/1896)! Excer...
- Text of essay "Everything Has Become Masculine": H...
- "Everything Has Become Masculine": Hypermasculinit...
- Excerpt from Patient Women
- The No-Net World
- Still more love poems for Valentine's Day
- More love poems for Valentine's Day
- Poems for Valentine's Day and the discovery of Ein...
- Lager NYC
- Jamas volveré
- Translation of “Dyr bul shchyl” by Alexei Krucheny...
- From "Mirror, or a Flash in the Pan" in #specialch...
- He follows her
- Recording of New Life, a mistranslation of Joseph ...
- February issue of Plume now up!
- Sea (Sic)
- Bhakti 2
- Abortion Hallucination
- ▼ February (29)
- ► 2015 (62)
- ► 2014 (125)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2008 (15)