Cervena Barva Press announces "Victory Over the Sun"
The First Futurist Opera by Aleksei Kruchenykh
Translated by Larissa Shmailo; edited and with an introduction by Eugene Ostashevsky
"Victory over the Sun, one of the most important events in Russian Futurism and in the avant-garde in general, is not well recognized in the West. Now in a new edition of Larissa Shmailo's brilliant translation of the text, with a lively introduction by Eugene Ostashevsky, readers can appreciate the significance and innovativeness of the 1913 play. Using Shmailo's translation and Malevich's pathbreaking stage designs, the play was reconstructed and staged in 1980 to great acclaim and remains a signal accomplishment in the history of the avant-garde."
—Gerald Janecek, Author of Zaum: The Transrational Poetry of Russian Futurism (UCSD, 1996) and Sight and Sound Entwined (Berghahn Books, 2000)
"Velimir Khlebnikov, literally, missed the train on co-penning this one, contributing only a poem to Kruchenykh's libretto. Staged alongside Mayakovsky's Vladimir Mayakovsky, A Tragedy, the 1913 original production of Victory is remembered primarily for Kazimir Malevich's costumes, lighting, and set design, instigations for the Suprematism and Constructivism still to come in 1915 and 1919, respectively…. Nothing is more fitting for this centennial of "Russian Futurianism" than a celebration of Kruchenykh's great contribution to poetry, his Zaum, and not just for its verbal play – the inventive neologizing and the épater-le-bourgeois utopianism – but for the underappreciated antilyricism of his verse, as well. In communicating to us his musicality in English, Larissa Shmailo has done a remarkable job in conferring on Kruchenykh his true due as a poet."
—Alex Cigale, Translations Editor of MadHat Lit
"A century ago, Aleksei Kruchenykh was the way out writer's most way out writer. If publishing today, he still would be."
—Richard Kostelanetz, Author of A Dictionary of the Avant-Gardes (Routledge, 1993)
#Victory over the Sun
$16.00 | ISBN: 978-0-692-30231-6 | 56 Pages
Monday, November 17, 2014
Cervena Barva Press announces Victory Over the Sun translated by Larissa Shmailo
- ► 2017 (69)
- ► 2016 (151)
- ► 2015 (62)
- Text of War, for C.K. Williams, in the current Lev...
- Four poems in Levure Littéraire: To the Thanatos W...
- My poem, "Phylum," published in The Common
- Cervena Barva Press announces Victory Over the Sun...
- Text of Tarkovsky translation of "June 25, 1939" w...
- New translation of Arseny Tarkovsky and poems by A...
- BLAZEVOX IS PUBLISHING MY NOVEL, PATIENT WOMEN
- Patient Women a Subito Press Contest Semifinalist
- Cover of my translation of Victory over the Sun by...
- Advanced in the Guggenheim Fellowship Competition!...
- My translation of A. Kruchenykh's Victory over the...
- ▼ November (11)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2008 (15)