Gulielmus, filius Johannes Shakespeare, was baptized in Stratford on April 26,1564; April 23 is traditionally celebrated as his birthday. Here is my favorite sonnet, number XXXV.
No more be grieved at that which thou hast done:
Roses have thorns, and silver fountains mud,
Clouds and eclipses stain both moon and sun,
And loathsome canker lives in sweetest bud.
All men make faults, and even I in this,
Authórizing thy trespass with compare,
Myself corrupting salving thy amiss,
Excusing thy sins more than thy sins are:
For to thy sensual fault I bring in sense—
Thy adverse party is thy advocate—
And ‘gainst myself a lawful plea commence.
Such civil war is in my love and hate,
That I an áccessory needs must be
To that sweet thief which sourly robs from me.
- ► 2017 (69)
- ► 2016 (151)
- ► 2015 (62)
- Just Announced: Pussy Riot at PEN Gala on May 5
- Never Challenge a Roth - My List of Words Never to...
- Happy 450th, Will!
- Happy birthday, Vladimir Nabokov! Poem for Ada
- Poem for Earth Day: revery about intoxicated turtl...
- The Traditional Russian Easter Greeting
- Guest blog on We Wanted to Be Writers
- First Review of #specialcharacters
- Between Eclipses
- NYC Launch of #specialcharacters May 11!
- ▼ April (10)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2008 (15)