Friday, May 02, 2014
560 Brooke Avenue
The walls, barbed wire, barbed, next to a
drive-by window of Burger King: Dios,
is this your way? Electric doors, opened
one at a time, they make a sound, it maddens.
All the time the boys do time, all the time
they say, “Lunacy, this is crazy, crazy mad.”
It is. “Nigga, nigga,” one boy prays, farts as
the fat guard twists his hand: He tries to laugh,
he cries instead: porque? Scared, so scared,
his scarred voice cracks, 15. “Nigga, ay, I here
4 murder,” he lies. O child, perhaps so. My
Jesus of the got-nailed, my angel of the why,
& what could you have done yet, & why are
you here, porque, my God, & donde vamos,
u & I?
(Horizons is a maximum security juvenile prison in the Bronx.)
- ► 2016 (151)
- ► 2015 (62)
- New Life: Variations on a Theme by Joseph Brodsky ...
- Alexander Skidan, translated by Larissa Shmailo an...
- What People Are Saying about #specialcharacters
- Writing Across Borders: National Writers Union Con...
- Review of #specialcharacters in the Cape Times, C...
- Are you a #specialcharacter?
- For Victory Day (the surrender of Nazi Germany to ...
- Dalachinsky, King, Kolm, Nikolayev, Penton, Shmail...
- 560 Brooke Avenue
- ▼ May (11)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2008 (15)