Still fiddling with this, Mayakovsky's last poem, after so many years. "Milkway" and "cloved" are new to match the Russian abbreviation and pepper pun. Like poems, translations are never finished, only abandoned.
It's after one. You've likely gone to sleep.
The Milkway streams silver, an Oka through the night.
I don't hurry, I don't need to wake you
Or bother you with lightning telegrams.
Like they say, the incident is cloved.
Love's little boat has crashed on daily life.
We're even, you and I. No need to account
For mutual sorrows, mutual pains and wrongs.
Look: How quiet the world is.
Night cloaks the sky with the tribute of the stars.
At times like these, you can rise, stand, and speak
To history, eternity, and all creation.
- ► 2017 (50)
- The No-Net World CD - poetry with music
- Spring Vow
- Overture for an Exorcism
- My First Hurricane
- My Dead
- Mad Feathered Tree - A Poetry Reading March 31
- What readers are saying about Patient Women!
- Vacana in the voice of Mahadevi-akka
- MADISON SQUARE PARK, 5:29 A.M.
- List of Words Never To Be Used in Poems
- THE MORE YOU LEAVE
- A fragment from The Ilatease of Homey, from a rece...
- The Searchers
- BETWEEN ECLIPSES*
- Translation of Mayakovsky's last poem, edited
- Telo ("Body, Corpse")
- ▼ March (18)
- ► 2015 (62)
- ► 2014 (125)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2008 (15)