Friday, March 21, 2014

Happy World Poetry Day!

Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything.
Steven Wright

My favourite poem is the one that starts 'Thirty days hath September' because it actually tells you something.
Groucho Marx

A poem is a naked person... Some people say that I am a poet.
Bob Dylan

And your very flesh shall be a great poem.
Walt Whitman

Ordering a man to write a poem is like commanding a pregnant woman to give birth to a red-headed child.
Carl Sandburg

A poem is true if it hangs together. Information points to something else. A poem points to nothing but itself.
E. M. Forster

Every old poem is sacred.
Horace

Like a French poem is life; being only perfect in structure when with the masculine rhymes mingled the feminine are.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine.
Spike Milligan

A poem is never finished, only abandoned.
Paul Valery

No comments:

Blog Archive