Every day we should hear at least one little song, read one good poem, see one exquisite picture, and, if possible, speak a few sensible words.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything.
My favourite poem is the one that starts 'Thirty days hath September' because it actually tells you something.
A poem is a naked person... Some people say that I am a poet.
And your very flesh shall be a great poem.
Ordering a man to write a poem is like commanding a pregnant woman to give birth to a red-headed child.
A poem is true if it hangs together. Information points to something else. A poem points to nothing but itself.
E. M. Forster
Every old poem is sacred.
Like a French poem is life; being only perfect in structure when with the masculine rhymes mingled the feminine are.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
I thought I'd begin by reading a poem by Shakespeare, but then I thought, why should I? He never reads any of mine.
A poem is never finished, only abandoned.
- ► 2017 (55)
- ► 2016 (151)
- ► 2015 (62)
- The Girl @theParisReview Says Uncool
- Happy World Poetry Day!
- désolé de ne pas être avec vous (for Vladimir Nabo...
- Phase Change
- Kimberly Rae Lorenz-Copeland interviews me about #...
- Father of a Ghost (after Stephen Dedalus's Theory ...
- A Night of Sirens: Benefit for Made by Survivors a...
- Jamas Volveré
- Death of a Reader
- Reactions to Larissa Shmailo's new poetry collect...
- Reading at Hot Pillow, Seattle AWP: The Other Woma...
- Boston launch of my new collection, #specialcharac...
- My Foreword to Shadows of the Future: An Otherstre...
- ▼ March (16)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2008 (15)