James Joyce b. February 2
Hamnet Shakespeare baptized February 2
Father of a ghost, but from the charnel dead!
Truepenny called, but bid his one son read
A woeful bedtime tale. So list: if Hamnet were
A suicide (the rest, what is the rest?); if Shakespeare were
Behorned by Ann (and her way hath will, clear)
And asked the poor young Hamnet now to kill the ‘dulterous peer,
(Perhaps to pour the poison in the porches of his ear?)
Cert, he would read just like a crab, ass backward and in fear:
Hamlet (his twin), ou le Distrait, une Pièce de Père Shakespeare;
Ophelia-like, rosemary clad, made mad with that despair.
Or … if the canon ‘gainst self-slaughter held fast,
Would he be murdered with all murdered at last?
And, scarred by family the most,
Who would rise to be his ghost?
From #specialcharacters by Larissa Shmailo, available from Amazon and Unlikely Books.
- ► 2017 (61)
- ► 2016 (151)
- ► 2015 (62)
- The Girl @theParisReview Says Uncool
- Happy World Poetry Day!
- désolé de ne pas être avec vous (for Vladimir Nabo...
- Phase Change
- Kimberly Rae Lorenz-Copeland interviews me about #...
- Father of a Ghost (after Stephen Dedalus's Theory ...
- A Night of Sirens: Benefit for Made by Survivors a...
- Jamas Volveré
- Death of a Reader
- Reactions to Larissa Shmailo's new poetry collect...
- Reading at Hot Pillow, Seattle AWP: The Other Woma...
- Boston launch of my new collection, #specialcharac...
- My Foreword to Shadows of the Future: An Otherstre...
- ▼ March (16)
- ► 2013 (27)
- ► 2012 (32)
- ► 2008 (15)