Thursday, November 28, 2019

MY ANSWERS TO "THE POETRY QUESTION"

#TPQ5: LARISSA SHMAILO

Ulysses – James Joyce
I imitate him; if I have any originality, it comes out, and if not, what could be better than more hydraheaded Joyce?
Mark Twain
His story, “”How I Edited an Agricultural Paper,” lifted me out of a clinical depression.
Anna Karenina – Tolstoy
I love how the writer in T, the great writer, made this novel more than the morality play he first intended; I fantasize Anna, brilliant and innovative, alive, if T could have take the next step.
David Markson
The erudite one-sentence wonders of his unique narratives partly inspired my short story -poem – genre bending “Mirror, or a Flash in the Pan.”
John Donne – “Go and Catch a Falling Star”
Beautiful masculine trochees; I love Donne’s dirty prosody.

Larissa Shmailo is a poet, novelist, translator, editor, curator, and critic. Her new novel is Sly Bang; her first novel is Patient Women. Her work is included in the libraries of Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton, the Museum of Modern Art, and the Smithsonian. Please see more about Shmailo at www.larissashmailo.com

No comments:

Blog Archive