Tuesday, August 27, 2019

AMERICAN VS IMMIGRANT

I am the child of immigrants interned in camps by Hitler and sent to Siberia by Stalin. I am always amazed by the entitlement of Americans and some foreign nationals not blessed with this authoritarian pedigree. I worry if I don't have my prescription number when I call the pharmacy, if I've gotten ahead of anyone on line and am terrified of any government letter. But at the slightest slight, Americans will hold a roomful of people up to get what they think is their due, and their due is always ten times what I would ask. And they expect good treatment, even when they are in the wrong, always ready to defend their bad behavior. I was born apologizing. Needless to say, some poets are immigrants, and some (you know who) are as American as Donald Trump.

No comments:

Blog Archive